One London

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, England, United Kingdom





Monday, October 31, 2005

On Being Jewish in the UK

Real people giving honest opinions on being Jewish in the UK. Here's a sample quote.

“Being Jewish is very important to me. I believe in it - just the religious side of it. It’s a way of life, it’s a fundamentally good way of life for me. I would call myself Observant, an halachic Jew.

“I think British Jewry has a viable and positive future, but there’s a lack of knowledge [about Judaism] and a lack of education.

“I feel pretty comfortable [here]. I don’t feel impending doom! Certainly in Europe, I couldn’t think of anywhere else that I would feel more comfortable.

“We are very lucky to be here, as opposed to people from France, where there is more intolerance, or Scandinavia, where there is no viable Jewish community.

“It’s a very active and dynamic community in Britain, but it’s also very big and, generally speaking, it’s relatively laissez-faire which is encouraging to people.

“I [do] fear anti-Semitism because we are all brought up with the fear of it, but it’s not something I feel the whole time as a real and present danger.

“I don’t have a problem ordering kosher food or taking early Fridays off [from work] or all the festivals, or walking outside with a kippa, and I’m a very obvious Jew.

“From speaking to other people [in Europe], I think we are easily the best off there. Maybe it’s the environment in which I work, but I find people very accepting.

“I’m not really scared off anti-Semitism, but although I recognise that you can be against the state of Israel and not be anti-Semitic, there [does] seem to be an increasing acceptance of anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. The defining line between them gets thinner and thinner.

“In Britain I think people don’t make an issue out of whether you are Jewish or not — I don’t think it’s the way the British look at things.

“There are doors open to Jews, they are not pushed away and not generally discriminated against. [Jews] are capable people who can make a contribution to society.” - David Rosenberg, 30, a lawyer from London
Read more here.

Comments on "On Being Jewish in the UK"

 

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said ... (6:49 PM) : 

There is an important difference between criticizing Israel's policies and being against the very existing of that state!

 

post a comment